About our village
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke St Milborough like this:
STOKE-ST. MILBOROUGH, a parish, comprising S.-St. M. and Heath townships, in Ludlow district, Salop; 6¼ miles NE of Ludlow r. station. Post town, Ludlow. Acres, 5,750. Real property, £5,362. Pop., 573. Houses, 119. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, with Heath chapelry, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £474. Patrons, the Representatives of the late Rev. G. Morgan. The church was recently restored. There are a chapel of ease at Heath, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a national school.
Stoke and Stanton manors were settled by 1086. There was a church at Stoke c.1200, which seems to have incorporated vestiges of an earlier one. There was a mill at Stoke by 1344. Wool and woollen cloth seem to have been important products of the parish in the 14th century.In 1340, the parish crops were devastated by storms, flocks dwindled and 11 tenants abandoned their holdings. In 1581, the lord of Stoke reserved to himself any mines on the waste and in 1637 he had mines of ironstone and limestone, which he was alleged to let to poor people at expensive rates. Limestone was being quarried in Stoke manor in 1637.
In 1815 there were 11 cottages on Stoke Gorse and 24 on Brown Clee. The population grew rapidly and in 1821 there were 554 inhabitants. The population remained steady until c.1871 when it began to decline. In 1971 there were only 215 inhabitants, however by 1991 it had risen again to 300
The vicarage is no longer associated formally with the church and is now a lovely private residence with landscaped gardens and an ornamental fishpond of considerable size
The National School closed in the 1960's and both it and the headmasters house are now private residences
The community spirit in the village is second to none with many events being organised during the year ranging from summer party for the children to carol singing around the village to raise money for charity
Our village hall hosts village pub nights, skittle matches, dances, dog obedience classes and many other functions, please see the village hall page for contact details if you wish to book the hall
The church is another centre of the community, it of course holds the usual services but it also organises different events during the year for the benefit of the community or for the infrastructure of the church itself